It took a health crisis for me to radically reduce harmful chemicals in our household. I’m now passionate about sharing what I’ve learned with others – before the health crisis.
These 10 ways to reduce harmful chemicals in your household are not expensive, ineffective or difficult, they simply require a shift in perspective.
I look forward to your questions.
10 Ways to Radically Reduce Harmful Chemicals in Your Household
- Clean with quality microfibre cloths and water wherever possible, preferably cloths containing antibacterial micro silver
- When extra cleaning power is required, such as mineral build up and soap scum on shower screens, choose the most natural products possible
- Wash your clothes in laundry detergent free of fillers and phosphates, as these not only flow into our waterways, but also create residue on your clothing, and may be absorbed by warm skin on wearing
- Choose body and oral care products free of SLS, SLES, phthalates, triclosan, artificial dyes and fragrances
- Clean does not have a smell, however if you enjoy scents, choose pure essential oils to diffuse, dilute to spray, or apply topically
- Many pure essential oils have powerful antibacterial, antifungal and/or antimicrobial properties; for example clove oil kills mould and mildew
- Reduce quantity of detergent in dishwashing machines and top loader washing machines with a magnet ball, as it softens the water, allowing the detergent be more effective
- Wherever possible, buy organic produce, especially those listed in the ‘dirty dozen’
- When choosing furnishings, paint and flooring, choose low-VOC emitting
- Have indoor plants known to help purify the air
What would you add to the list? Comment below, thanks!